Oops, I didn’t mean to leave my vege garden update for so long. Anyone would think it had fallen into disarray or been trampled by pigs (both reasonably likely). But no, it is looking pretty good and full at the moment and a beautiful bout of rain has set in today, which is perfect timing for its watering needs. I even stuck pretty well to my Vege Plan, with a few unfortunate exceptions.
The main exception was due to a little forgetfulness and busyness. The few things that I sowed from seed directly into the vege garden (other than the carrots) failed to fire because I couldn’t keep the soil moist for their germination. These were the bok choy and spinach. It’s just as well I sowed everything else in trays and transplanted them. One section of carrots failed to germinate but I’m assuming it’s because the seeds for that cultivar (Manchester Table) were a little old. Plus the fur child had a little disturbance party in there. The Bastille carrots next door are fine though.
The other main exception is a few of the tomato plants got a virus or some such malady. I pulled out two of the Big Beefs (auto-correct changed their name to Big Needs; very appropriate) that were under the bamboo tee-pees and the yellow-fruiting Golden Nugget that was beside them. Not soon enough though. The other Big Beef and the other Golden Nugget at that end of the bed have now got this blasted malady too. The other tomatoes are further away and appear to be fine. I’m actually not too disappointed as I probably planted too many tomatoes for this particular point in time. They are a high maintenance crop. And I still have my favourites down the other end: Black Krim, Amish Paste and the cherries. I would like to try some of the yellows though.
Smaller deviations from the Vege Plan include not sowing enough meadowfoam whilst sowing a small forest of sweet alyssum for the flower department (oops) and adding a couple of basil plants in since the Herb Garden is still just a grand vision in my head.
While harvesting is a little delayed, the crops are slowly getting there. Over Christmas I had to get The Husband to harvest the garlic before they rotted since I had too many things to do. They are a decent size considering I didn’t get time to get my liquid feeding act together. Maybe next season! I got The Husband to lay them out to dry in the order in which I planted them so we could see the effects of clove planting size. The garlic bulbs were generally bigger at the bigger clove end, though not the very end bulb, but there were a few big bulbs right in the middle too. Interesting. I need to pick out the biggest ones to save for planting next season.
The pumpkin plants are currently trying to take over the world, as they do, so I need to sort them out before they smother the cucumbers and I need to tie my capsicums to their stakes. I also need to sow some more seeds of various things, preferably now, while it’s raining. Oh dear, I suppose I should add that to my mountainous to-do list!